Alain
Major
Major

AMERICAN GRAVES REGISTRATION COMMAND

Sun Aug 22, 2010 22:36

Hi Bob,
Although we're talking about Quartermaster Corps items here, there's of course a certain relation with the Medical Department.
Thanks for the photo of the GRS guy.
The AGRC document, dated 15 Nov 45, is more a "general" use booklet/leaflet, merely intended for information purposes (different subjects were likewise already distributed by other WD/USA organizations and institutes from 1943 onwards), though I had never seen this one before.

Btw, is there any indication (inside or back) of a GPO reference number, the number of copies distributed, or a date ? is it a leaflet type (folding) or a booklet type (stapled), and can you tell me the document's dimensions and the number of pages ?

Thanks for sharing,
Regards - Alain :wink:
MRC Administrator

Alain
Major
Major

Re: AMERICAN GRAVES REGISTRATION COMMAND

Tue Aug 24, 2010 22:41

Sincere thanks Bob,
Appreciate the effort !

Alain :)
MRC Administrator

Bob M

Fri Aug 27, 2010 18:19

Does anyone has the other three books of this series? This one is from the 612th GRC, but I suppose there are also ones from 609th, 610th en 611th?

Alain
Major
Major

Sun Aug 29, 2010 08:32

Hi Bob,
That's interesting information ! I don't know whether there are MORE of these 'Unit Histories' around ? Haven't seen this one though ! Why do you mention a 'series', is there any mention of other such booklets as the one you illustrated (ref. 612th) ? These so-called unit histories were more common with smaller units, while the more known large units had their 'stories' published in the widely distributed G.I Stories of the Ground, Air, and Service Forces in the European Theater, issued by the Orientation Section, Information and Education Division, ETOUSA.

At the end of the war, or postwar, many smaller units published their own specific WW2 reminiscences which were printed in the liberated and/or occupied countries, such as France, Belgium, and Germany. Of course, some units published more complete books after the war specifically destined for the Veterans' Associations.

Bag, Delousing, Quartermaster Stock No. 27-B-208 - a sytnthetic or resin coated bag for the fumigation of clothes. Clothes were placed in the bag and a chemical glass ampoule was placed in the appropriate pocket. The bag was then tied tightly and the ampoule crushed, allowing the gas to spread in the closed bag. After a while, the bag was opened, the clothing removed, shaken well and brushed. Because of the fumes, the bag was to be opened only ourdoors or in a well-ventilated space. The bag was used by QMC troops and Medical personnel, for disinfecting clothing of RAMPs, DPs, and German PWs. I don't think it was ever used by GRS people ...
Alain :wink:
MRC Administrator

Ben
Major
Major

Fri Oct 15, 2010 21:50

Hi Bob,
I'm glad that you were finally able to add this piece to your collection. Congratulations on your recent purchase!
Regards,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Sat Oct 16, 2010 01:37

Hi Bob -

Congrats on finally finding that TM. Looks like a good quality example as well.

I have the 1945 Graves Registration Field Manual in PDF and - if I did everything right - it is attached.

While there may be some duplication in content, Field Manuals and Technical Manuals differ in content. The Field Manual is intended more as a 'What To Do' guide where as the Technical Manul is more of a 'How To Do It' guide. Having said that, I'm curious how much differenc in content really exists between the two manuals. If you ever get around to scanning your TM, I would like to get a copy.
Attachments
FM10-63 Graves Registration 1945-01-01.pdf
1945 FM10-63
(1.83 MiB) Downloaded 323 times
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Wed Nov 03, 2010 01:42

thanks for posting Bob!
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Fri Dec 03, 2010 20:06

Bob M wrote:Does anyone know what patches GRS personnel wore on their uniforms during the early days of the Normandy campaign? (June-July 1944) I do know that the 612th and 613th GRS units were participated in that campaign, unfortunately I don't have any other information. Who can help me out?

Bob

They would have worn the patch of the higher echelon unit that they were attached to.
For Normandy this would have been either Corps or Army patches (1st Army, 5th or 7th Corps)...
'29th, Let's Go!'

Return to “Reference Topics”