tay
Private First Class
Private First Class

Need some help with my new impression !!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 17:14

Hi all I have only recently decided to start a US WW2 medical impression up within the last couple of months.I have always had an interest in this side of the US army since I started in the hobby.I have little to know knowledge on the medical dept I have been doing as much research as I can but thought you guys would have far better understadings in which you could teach for questions which I need answering.I am very new to this so if you do have answers to these questions if you wouldn't mind if you could explain it to me in a childs language :lol: .

I am looking more basing my impression on some one working in an evac hospital and being able to create my own evac hospital so I pretty much need to know everything about that I have looked on this website which helps me a great deal but if anyone has more info or more basic summarys that would be fab.Also the main kit I would need to represent that evac hospital.What roles are there within the hospital and what ranks would they be also clothing what would have been worn what kit had etc.Would it be ok do base an evac hospital under a US flysheet for straters until I am able to get a larger tent.How many tents etc would be within the evac hospital and would there be any transpotation vechiles etc?

I was going to ask more but this already exceptionally long questions already so the others can wait they are the most impotrant for now so any help at all with thoese questions would be fantastic if any one can help ?

Kind Regards Tay

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Need some help with my new impression !!

Thu Dec 13, 2012 07:31

Tay
Welcome to the world of field medicine. Living history displays are great educational vehicles.
One thing you might consider is to scale down to do a smaller unit, for example a Battalion Aid Station or Collecting Station. These are small enough units to make it possible to have the entire set up as it would have been during the war. Having the whole unit as opposed to only a display of a few pieces from say, an Evac Hospital, may provide a more impressive and educational display.
Dirk

tay
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thu Dec 13, 2012 07:39

Yes mate of course I can do that now need background info on a battalion aid station.As well as what roles and ranks would be within it that I could portray.I also need to know the most important kit etc.

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Thu Dec 13, 2012 08:17

Tay
You sure have the right approach. Learn the background first. You came to the right place too. This site has almost everything you need to know. Review the materals here thoroughly, especially in the Articles and Resources sections. All of this material is accurate and well documented, and you can trust it. Have fun!
Dirk

tay
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fri Dec 14, 2012 17:28

Brilliant thanks for the help mate really appreciated :D :D

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Thu Dec 20, 2012 07:57

Hi Tay -

I appreciate your excitement about portraying a medical unit and the Evac Hospital would certainly be respectable, but I agree with Dirk that it would be a huge effort. If you look at personnel alone, the Semi-Mobile Evac Hospital had a staff of nearly 300, 400 beds and had a minimum footprint of 150yd by 150yd. Once you start looking at the different tents and equipment it doesn't take long to realize the size of the project. Of course you could setup just the triage or one ward, but that is still quite a large display.

For me, the Battalion Aid Station is the easiest to assemble and display. The BAS would have been setup within a couple hundred yards of the front line and would have taken advantage of whatever terrian or feature was available - tent, root celler, dugout, empty field, etc. And technically you should be able to transport in a couple jeeps with trailers.

Having said that, other options might include part of a field hospital. Field hospitals can be task organized into smaller self sufficient Clearing Platoons. Each platoon would have about 100 bed capacity and staff of about 50. Another aspect of the Field Hospital is that the WC54 was part of the organic equipment. These platoons would have been more flexible in where they operated and certainly would have less of a foot print. The Portable Surgical Units were extremely flexible units that sometimes operated independently and sometimes augmented other units. Its staffing was less than 40 people and had less than 1000 lbs of equipment that could be man portable.

As for where to start, get a copy of the Medical Soldier's handbook. This will give you a basic understanding of military medical care, equipment and structure. As I'm sure you are aware the medical field is extremely technical and its much more difficult for those of us that are typically patients to discuss military medicine with others that are medical professionals. If you ever have a chance to attend one of Dirk's displays, you will see the difference of someone who knows what they are talking about versus me who can't even play a medical prefoessional on TV :)

And don't forget to look here for more infomation about different medical units http://www.med-dept.com/org.php.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Peter
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Fri Dec 21, 2012 06:42

Peter
You are too kind. I hope I do a good presentation, but always based on my particular skills and experience. Your knowledge far exceeds mine in many other areas.
You have a very good point about expectations. I have been doing medical living history for many years, and even now the thought of getting enough people and gear together to portray even part of a small Hospital in a credable and believable manner to be a huge task. A whole hospital is literally impossible but get too small a part of it and the audience gets a distorted impression of the real thing. I really think a lone Platoon Aidman, a Battalion Aid Station or a Clearing Station is the way to go, in that order too. The choice should be based on ones knowledge and skills. Two other books I think are really helpful are the Military Medical Manual published by the Military Service Publishing Co. Mine is Vol. 5 This is a basic textbook for physicians entering the service during the war. Also FM 8-10 Medical Field Manual which describes the entire Army field medicne organizatin. FM 8-10 has been reprinted. The Military Medical Manual has not. Tay, you should get these books and read them cover to cover.
Dirk

tay
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:30

Brilliant advice guys I cant thank you enough.I think after doing some research and reading what you have said I would am to try then a Battalion aid station.As this would most suit regarding resources and personnel. Thank you guys and I will also be reading the two manuals that you guys have said about.

Kind Regards Tay

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Sat Dec 22, 2012 19:26

FM 8-10 can be found here. Just scroll down to the FM8 section and you will find other Medical FMs as well. You can also go here to download some of the USMD green books which are great resources for understanding how the USMD did its business during the war.

Peter
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Return to “Re-Enactment General”