sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Re: "Display" Aid Station

Sat Jul 25, 2009 14:08

I couldn't have asked for a better truck sitter. He takes it out every two weeks or so and logs all the miles and maintenance. He probably takes better care of it than I do. I definitely owe the guy a big steak dinner for his help.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Tue Jul 28, 2009 14:27

This was sent to me by a member who asked that I post it here. He will chime in with the details shortly, but thank you, Mike! (Mike will post responses under his name shortly)

Anyone else have a layout they would like to share?
Last edited by TenthA86 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

916matt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Jul 28, 2009 23:05

[quote="TenthA86"]
quote]

Can i ask why you would want to camouflage an aid tent or minimize detection ?? surley the idea is to be seen from miles away so your not accidentally shelled or attacked.

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Wed Jul 29, 2009 08:04

Aid stations were specifically camouflaged for "their oun protection, for the safety of the patients under their care, and to avoid disclosing the position of other components of the force" according to the Mlitary Medical Manual, 1944. They went to great lengths to do this. Remember aid stations were attached to combat units, unlike hospitals which were sited by themselves and were clearly marked.

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Wed Jul 29, 2009 22:58

From the owner of that aid station (Mike): "Please pass on to "916mat" on the post that this is a Russian field aid station and as such, I believe it was the 1923 Geneva Convention, chose not to recognize medics as non-combatants. All were fair game on the Eastern Front and the Germans gave back what they received, hence we camouflage. He was probably not aware of this fact. I will have to sign up for this forum as I am unable to log in and comment."

Thanks, Mike
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

916matt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:51

Thanks for the replies ,my mistake for not doing my research i looked it up in my "42" military medical manual page 72 (big red book) & it states the art of camouflage is a modern essential for all arms & services, & medical units must be adept in certain phases of this subject in there own protection & for the saftey of patients in their care :oops: :oops: i really should do more research if im going to make comments,matt.

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sat Aug 01, 2009 21:31

Matt,
Dont feel bad, your comments and question were good. It stimulated thinking and resaearch for all of us, and that what it is all about. Dialog like your's is what makes this a great forum. The "big red book" is a great resource. Unlike the field manuals it lets us know what the battalion surgeons and surgeons assistants were actually taught at Carlisle Barracks. Next best thing to a diary.

Return to “Re-Enactment General”