John
Private

medic in combat during reenactments

Thu Jan 08, 2009 14:54

Hi all"
Id be interested in what different medics do in combat scenarios....ie....what do they do when someone is wounded in terms of bandaging, etc.....

maybe it all depends on the scenario but Im mainly thinking of what goes on in tactical events.

many thanks

John

taylorde
Private

Sun Jan 18, 2009 23:46

Typically, at my reenactments, all medics involved used wound cards. The reenactor would carry a sealed card in their 1st aid pouch which would be opened by the medic. The wound card would typically be alive or dead.

The first medic I had when I started reenacting used Uno cards for this purpose.

I had a medic once that used fake bloodied, prepared bandages and other moulage ahead of time, but ultimately it was still an alive or dead card. Still a pretty cool effect.

I used to play it up with my medic, create some noise -- screaming and such. We called 'em "hollywood hits." It's much more fun than just taking off your helmet and sitting down.

Most units don't have the full compliment of medical staff available, thus there's no battalion aid station, etc.

I've developed a system that can make use of an aid station in reenactments if one exists, but I've never had the opportunity to use it. Let me know if you're interested via email -- I can send you the cards...

Actually, I'll probably right a blog post on the topic soonish. If you're interested I can do it sooner rather than later.

GauzeBandage
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon Jan 19, 2009 01:47

I do airsoft, so we really don't have medic rules much, but there are ones stated and used when approved.

Usually you just use the "Wound Cards" that real medics used in training, but I had thought up another way; it is not used however.
Last edited by GauzeBandage on Sun Jan 25, 2009 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
Technician 5th Grade, 3rd Infantry Division
WWII Airsoft Association

Combat Record
- Mignano Gap, Italy (2008)

taylorde
Private

Thu Jan 22, 2009 04:54

taylorde wrote:I've developed a system that can make use of an aid station in reenactments if one exists...Actually, I'll probably right a blog post on the topic soonish.

Okay, I wrote a pretty long blog post about wound cards / casualty SOP for reenactments: http://wwiimedic.com/wound-cards-an-alternative-system

You can download my wound cards there if you want them.

GauzeBandage
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Jan 25, 2009 20:21

Thanks for the cards. When I google "Wound Cards" all I get are weird "Vehicle Damage" ones.
Technician 5th Grade, 3rd Infantry Division

WWII Airsoft Association

Combat Record

- Mignano Gap, Italy (2008)

doc ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: medic in combat during reenactments

Mon Feb 16, 2009 17:53

John wrote:Hi all"
Id be interested in what different medics do in combat scenarios....ie....what do they do when someone is wounded in terms of bandaging, etc.....

My unit mainly does LH displays, but...

....when we do tacticals, we are to the point where we only attend hardcore small unit actions where we all do "first person". At the larger tacticals, we use wound cards in envelopes. If I'm the only medic, I might even take a hit early on without a wound card myself, esp. at PTO tacticals. Then, the squad/platoon is on their own.

Last year, I did a small unit Korean War tactical where if you were "hit", that was pretty much it for you -- you were a casualty for the weekend. No taking off the helmet, walking back to the road and "coming back to life". Walking wounded were treated and put back in fighting positions with their rifles, as we were "surrounded" by Chicomms. Severely wounded were kept at the center of our defensive position as there was no aid station. If we moved, these guys had to be either left behind or moved. If you were "dead" on a hit, then you went back to help the cook somewhere else or were sent off to put on a CCF uniform to be the "bad guy" (who we Americans never really saw up close). On top of this, we had two psychological casualties to care for. Events like that one sure make my job a lot more "urgent" and important -- i.e. I'm not the guy that just runs around behind the riflemen with one hand holding my helmet on. And it makes for a "living history experience" so see how horrible it must have been for a company or platoon to be "reduced". Sure, it was awkward. But it was a million times better than events I've been to where re-enactors get hit and just stand around or lay there propped up to watch the battle.

As for the "Hollywood Hit" Taylor mentioned....

...one thing I'll do as an aside is administer de facto Last Rites in Latin to anyone "hit" with a "C" on his dog tag. I did this at one firper event and the casualty went crazy because he knew he was going to "die". Terrifying moment for both of us, even though it was "fake". It reinforced my appreciation for what real medics went through in WWII.

Return to “Re-Enactment General”