rich2
Private

Need suggestions

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:04

My unit will be hosting a D-Day type event at Ft. Mifflin, located in Philadelphia, PA in April. I am attempting to set up some type of medical scenario for the event. Have come up with the hit cards already, and am trying to enlist the aid of other medical people that will be at the event. I guess my question would be where would the wound transported too, I assume an aid station would not be on the beach, I would think it would be more of a collection point, prior to evac from the beach. Any thought on this or suggestions that I can use for this event. Thanks in advance.

Rich Kroon

Ben
Major
Major

Sun Feb 18, 2007 17:42

Rich,

Perhaps your best choice for the weekend event would be to portray a Clearing Station. Many Clearing Stations were established on the morning after the successful wave on the beach. Below is an illustration of one such clearing station on Omaha Beach:

(Click to Enlarge)

Also, here come two maps showing the Clearing Stations located on both Omaha and Utah beaches by the morning of June 7th:

Map showing the Clearing Stations established on Omaha Beach by June 7th.
(Click to Enlarge)

Map showing the Clearing Stations established on Utah Beach by June 6th.
(Click to Enlarge)

Here follows some further information about the role of the Medical Department in the initial invasion on both Omaha and Utah Beach:

Utah Beach:
On Utah beach, the landing of medical units and the establishment of the initial chain of evacuation went about as smoothly as an operation could go under combat conditions. Company aidmen and battalion medical sections of the 4th Division landed first, followed closely by the nine officers and seventy-two hospital corpsmen of the 2d Naval Beach Battalion. Collecting companies of the 4th Medical Battalion came in with the regiments they supported, bringing most of their thirty ambulances. In spite of day-long sporadic artillery fire, which killed a medical officer and several enlisted men on the beach, wounded the regimental surgeon of the 12th Infantry, and peppered the 4th Medical Battalion's ambulances with shrapnel, the division medical elements rapidly moved inland. The Navy corpsmen organized two beach aid stations, collected the few casualties of the assault, and loaded on DUKWs and landing craft for movement to LSTs offshore. At about 1000 the first engineer special brigade unit, Company C, 261st Medical Battalion, arrived on the beach, followed two hours later by Company A. These two "collecting-clearing" companies, formed by combining the litter and ambulance elements of a collecting company with a platoon from the battalion's clearing company, set up stations at a crossroads just behind the flooded area

Omaha Beach:
On Omaha the battalion and regimental medical sections and attached divisional collecting companies of the 16th and 116th Regimental Combat Teams, closely followed by the officers and hospital corpsmen of the 6th and 7th Naval Beach Battalions, came ashore early in the morning, just after the first assault companies had been shot to pieces. The medical soldiers took their share of casualties. The 2d Battalion, 116th Infantry, lost five aidmen, killed leaving their landing craft, and its surgeon, wounded on the beach by shrapnel. Other medics quickly fell as they tried to drag casualties out of the rising water. As German artillery blasted the landing craft, medical supplies went up in flames or disappeared under the waves; the 116th Infantry lost its entire regimental supply of plasma in two LCIs (landing craft, infantry) sunk off the beach.

I hope that the information I have supplied above is of use to you and that it will help in your decision for this forthcoming event.

Cheers,
Ben

rich2
Private

Mon Feb 19, 2007 09:28

Thanks again....

Rich

Return to “Re-Enactment General”