Newman
Private

US Army nurse captured 1944 by Germans?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 18:00

this Picture was reportably taken 1944 Battle of the Bulge {Reference only}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bunde ... ldaten.jpg

There is some speculation that the 1st Lt in front row right is a woman;
If so-were there any US Army Hospitals units captured by the Germans December 1944 -possibly of the US 106th Division? :?

Alain
Major
Major

Re: US Army nurse captured 1944 by Germans?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 20:23

Hi Newman,

Welcome to the Club! I hope you'll enjoy your stay with us ...
It's difficult to tell whether this is a First or a Second Lieutenant.
The person illustrated buttons her coat light a woman.
I'm not aware of any Hospital being captured by the enemy (except for the small medical setup of the 326th Abn Med Co).
Women would, in normal circumstances, be away from the frontlines, but then (if this is a Nurse ?) this person might have been captured in a convoy, during retreat, while visiting, or just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong moment ...

Anyone else with a sound theory ?

Best,
Alain S. Batens :idea:
MRC Administrator

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Thu Mar 18, 2010 01:06

Hi Newman and welcome.

This is an interesting photo that you uncovered. Too bad there isn't any more info to go with it.

My first thought was that you are looking at a very young male Lt (all Lts are young). Although the coat is buttoned the female way, I don't see any evidence of the necessary curves even thru those layers.

Not that it is authoritative, but I did a google search for female POWs in the ETO and found this article that claims there was only one female POW in the ETO. There is a little more info and a photo of Lt Whittle here. I would ask that you compare the photo from the second link with the one you posted. Unfortunately I can't seem to get a copy of that photo to post here.

Anyone have the book "Women at war"?
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:29

The date of the picture that started this topic is December 22nd, 1944
Lt Whittle's plane went down on Sept 27th, 1944

I find it hard to believe that she would still be marching near the front nearly 3 months after her capture and that she would have had winter clothing...

I believe we're looking at a male Lt who didn't know how to button his overcoat, or who had to button it that way as it seems the other row of buttons is missing, so buttoning it the 'male' way has become impossible...

Johan
'29th, Let's Go!'

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Tue Mar 23, 2010 08:22

Hi Johan -

I would agree this is probably a real young male LT that wasn't worried about how he buttoned his coat. Too bad we don't have more info about where the photo was taken or what unit it was. However comparing the Bundesarchiv photo with the known photo of Lt Whittle shows some similarities between the two individuals - especially the nose (I wish I had facial recognition software). I also noticed that in the Bundesarchiv photo that appears to be the only officer in the group which would support the conclusion that this a newly surrendered group. And they all wear their steel pots - probably not something that would happen once they got to their Stalag.

So I started looking for anything that would support the conclusion that the Bundesarchiv photo shows Lt Whittle sometime in Dec 44 or Jan 45 knowing that she was part of a prisoner exchange 25 Jan 45. I found this article about an enlisted airman who was also imprisoned at Luft Stalag IX, camp 9C near Erfurt. Those on the repatriation list were moved to Stalag 4D at Annaburg by train around 1 Nov 44 where they stayed until 15 Jan 45 before moving by train to Switzerland. Holman says he arrived in Switzerland 20 Jan 45. Admitedly there is a few day difference that can't be explained.

As an aside, the prisoner exchange that officially occured 25 Jan 45 included approx 135 Jewish prisoner from Berden that held passposts from North and South America and about 130 US servicemembers. In exchange a group of Germans were repatriated from the US to Germany including some that were held in US detention centers. In some cases, the German repats were subsequently imprisoned and/or interrogated/beaten by German military per this article.

Too bad we don't have Lt Whittle's diary. It would be an interesting story.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

noob
Private

Sun Sep 19, 2010 18:22

Hello all,

Im new here and trying to figure out all of this medic stuff. Ive been in a WWII history group here in the Texas Panhandle for about two years and am starting to get my gear for medic. Not sure how it all works yet (how to hook up bags to yoke for example) but hope to find out.

In regard to the questions of this picture being a man or woman. Im 99% sure its a man. Reason being the hands. On the male the two inside fingers (middle and ring) are longer. On a female the pointing figure and middle finger are longer. I would say this i most definitely a male. Just doesnt look as masculine as others likely due to age.

Ben
Major
Major

Sun Sep 19, 2010 18:53

Brian,

Thanks for your comments on this photograph.

With regard to wearing your equipment, you might find the following Article on our website useful:
http://med-dept.com/405_95.php

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon Sep 20, 2010 05:01

Newman wrote:this Picture was reportably taken 1944 Battle of the Bulge {Reference only}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bunde ... ldaten.jpg

There is some speculation that the 1st Lt in front row right is a woman;
If so-were there any US Army Hospitals units captured by the Germans December 1944 -possibly of the US 106th Division? :?

There was a report I recall reading of a nurse being "captured" and immediately freed during the Bulge but I don't recall precisely where I read it at. I'll try to recall it and post it if I can remember.

Return to “Articles and Links of Interest”