aclfan
Private

Need Copy of T/O 8-520 Hospital Train 1-Apr-42

Tue Aug 28, 2007 14:40

Hello,

I am looking for a copy of T/O 8-520 Hospital Train for research our museum is conducting on hospital cars. We have car #89480, built May 1945.

Also, does anyone have a copy of MED 10 - Equipment Lists? I want to know if this covers hospital cars as well.

Thanks,

Larry Neal :)

Ben
Major
Major

Tue Aug 28, 2007 16:10

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the forum.

I will have a look through my records, to see whether I have the Table of Organisation which you mention. It sure is great to hear that you managed to locate one of the Hospital Train cars, and I am sure I speak for everyone here on the forum that should you be able to shoot some pictures of it, we would be most interested in seeing it.

I have a copy of the MED 10 document, but unfortunately it does not cover either land based permanent or semi-permanent hospitals, nor does it cover Hospital Trains. I did locate a Table of Equipment for semi-permanant hospitals (i.e. Field, Evacuation and General Hopsitals), but once again this document makes no mention of Hospital Train contents.

I would point you in the direction of our "WW2 Hospital Train" article, which contains a layout image for the various types of cars. I have duplicated it here for ease, but the Article can be found at http://med-dept.com/hosp_trains.php

I fear that the above image does not offer too much information as to the specific contents of the cars however, simply a more general overview.

I hope that information helps, and should this not be the case, please let me know and I will look in to your query further.

Thanks and kind regards,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

aclfan
Private

Hospital Train Info

Tue Aug 28, 2007 16:51

Hello,

Thanks for the information. I have printed the hospital train article, which was helpful. I think I will order one of the MED-3 copies from Petersen since I know it has some information and drawings relating to hospital cars from talking to someone at their company.

We have enough information for the restoration of the car, and are concentrating on supplies that would have been found in the car.

We have these manuals - TC 7, 8 and 9 C-38 from March 1951 and TM 55-1254 from December 1945 that cover maintenance only. We would like to find equipment lists from the Medical Department pertaining to hospital cars or other FM and TM manuals from 1945 - 1950s.

BTW - does someone know what blanket would have been correct - a standard wool OD or the cream and maroon striped (which oftern have US Army MD and a date sewn on) for the bunks?

Thanks again,

Larry Neal

Alain
Major
Major

Hospital Train

Wed Aug 29, 2007 20:05

Hi Larry,
I hope you remember my first reply dated August 24 about MED 10-5 ! As you will have noted, Ben has meanwhile confirmed what I already told you .
I can provide you with a copy of T/O 8-520 dated April 1, 1942 - which I will send to your e-mail address asap . However, please note there is absolutely NOTHING about equipment lists - it only covers personnel, i.e. Officers & EM .
I've meanwhile consulted the Army 'Green' Book about Transportation, and the only data available consists of minimum and maximum number of Army Hospital Cars in service/operation in the ZI, as well as the number of patients and medical attendants routed by rail in Hospital Cars .
I'll add these to the T/O .
Hope this helps .
Regards,
Alain :P
MRC Administrator

aclfan
Private

Hospital Train

Wed Aug 29, 2007 21:41

Hello,

Thanks for all the information and the copy of the T/O. This helps plenty in determining use of the car.

Larry Neal

Ben
Major
Major

Wed Aug 29, 2007 22:28

Hi Larry,

I'm glad that we could help, and as I said in my initial reply, we would be most interested in seeing some shots of the car once it is complete.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Fri Aug 31, 2007 01:49

Based on the late-war car on exhibit at Ft Sam Houston, the blankets should be the creme & burgundy ones for all state-side use and overseas use. The OD blankets were usually restricted to field units.

Their car layout is a separate floor plan from the layouts above. I believe most of these were done in small contracts with running changes to meet current needs.

I'll file a request through the Army Museum System (Musenet) to see if Ft Sam has any material you can access, or if they can help with equipment lists. My recollection from conversation with a train nurse is that the transport cars were equipped with linens, pillows, trays & little else. The surgical car was equipped with the equiv. of a BN Aid Station plus sufficient bandages to serve the troops in transit. I'll see what I can find. Curator is scott.schoner@amedd.army.mil <scott.schoner@amedd.army.mil>

ACLFAN - is your car equipped with a small kitchen at one end, a small office/compartment for staff in the center, and separate bunks at the opposite end for nurses?

Dave
Attachments
Hospital%20Car.jpg
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

aclfan
Private

Hospital Train

Wed Sep 05, 2007 16:50

Thanks for the information. I had already contacted the AMEDD museum in Texas and was able to get some good information from them, as well as Fort Eustis.

Our car is one of the last built in 1945 - with a full kitchen at one end, receiving area/pharmacy, bunk area, and crew quarters. A sister car has been preserved in Miami, FL. Both of these cars are part of the 89400-89499 series.

Larry Neal

Return to “Wanted”