GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Well crap....lost my job today

Thu Jan 13, 2011 00:03

The title says it all. My day has been absolute hell as the hospital I was working at is "downsizing" (read as: we're getting bought out and the place is being turned into an outpatient surgery clinic more or less). So I am back on the job hunt....sorry if this is not an appropriate post but I felt the need to vent a little.

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Re: Well crap....lost my job today

Thu Jan 13, 2011 00:45

That totally sucks Steve. I hope your search is quick and fruitful.

Have you thought about looking at the VA? I know they are looking for qualified professionals http://www.indianapolis.va.gov/careers/. I forget if you are prior service, but Gen Shinseki has put a lot of emphasis on hiring veterans into the VA.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Thu Jan 13, 2011 00:47

sgtpeter wrote:That totally sucks Steve. I hope your search is quick and fruitful.

Have you thought about looking at the VA? I know they are looking for qualified professionals http://www.indianapolis.va.gov/careers/. I forget if you are prior service, but Gen Shinseki has put a lot of emphasis on hiring veterans into the VA.

Yeah, I am prior service. I'm going to put my application in over there but getting into the respiratory department over there is only slightly harder than getting elected to Congress. Thankfully, at least I reenact American so I don't have to worry about any pictures of me cropping up!

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Thu Jan 13, 2011 22:57

My son is leaving Indy for that same reason - no job offers in 3 months, so back to CO he goes...

Good luck!
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Fri Jan 14, 2011 00:19

I know a company in Indy that is hiring, but it is a software development company. Won't help Steve ...
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Fri Jan 14, 2011 09:07

TenthA86 wrote:My son is leaving Indy for that same reason - no job offers in 3 months, so back to CO he goes...

Good luck!

Actually, wish me luck, I have an interview for a research job tomorrow at 1500 Eastern. :lol: Leaving Indy isn't an option for the foreseeable future since my fiancee is going to be in school here for the next two to three years and I'll be back in school as of this summer. I've had enough of the grind of day to day clinical medical work, so I am going to work towards never having to do it again. I'll miss taking care of patients, but the politics of health care are worse than any other field (except actual politics) and I certainly won't miss having to deal with that crap.

GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Fri Jan 14, 2011 09:11

sgtpeter wrote:I know a company in Indy that is hiring, but it is a software development company. Won't help Steve ...

If my brother wasn't such a shiftless, lazy bum, I'd ask for the information to refer him to it.

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Fri Jan 14, 2011 21:58

GliderRiderMedic wrote:Actually, wish me luck,

GOOD LUCK - in this economy, you'll need it. The health care fields haven't been hit as hard as some, but it's not pretty out there.

V.A. is hiring - they took several director-level folk from my wife's clinic, and they pay well.

(do you know of two brothers in Indy who have restored a couple of vehicles? I was told they reenact ABN - no clue if they are good guys or not)
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Fri Jan 14, 2011 23:47

GOOD LUCK - in this economy, you'll need it. The health care fields haven't been hit as hard as some, but it's not pretty out there.

Yeah....the health care field isn't as bad, but I'm trying to get out of it. The interview went well. I have the job as a research tech at least. It's only part time, but it's better than nothing and I'm going to keep looking for a second position as well. It will take three weeks for the background check and all the hiring crap to get processed as well.

(do you know of two brothers in Indy who have restored a couple of vehicles? I was told they reenact ABN - no clue if they are good guys or not)

There are several ABN guys down here with vehicles. I'm not sure if any of them are brothers (honestly, I don't know the last names of many of the reenactors out here).

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Sat Jan 15, 2011 00:19

Glad to hear it went well Steve. That should make the weekend a little better even with the lead time before you can start. In this era of everything being instantanous, I surprised you have to wait three weeks. I know the Army's background checks for clearance can take weeks/months, but they actually talk to people you put as references. Do they go into that much detail?
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sat Jan 15, 2011 03:47

sgtpeter wrote:Glad to hear it went well Steve. That should make the weekend a little better even with the lead time before you can start. In this era of everything being instantanous, I surprised you have to wait three weeks. I know the Army's background checks for clearance can take weeks/months, but they actually talk to people you put as references. Do they go into that much detail?

I dunno. Didn't ask. Even if they do, it should not be a problem since I had an above top secret clearance when I was in the service.

Return to “Off Topic Chat”