Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Interesting...

Fri May 11, 2007 04:28

This might not be the right forum, but I thought it would get a few looks. Although it is not identical, I thought that the timing was eerily coincidental! :?
eBay Link

I have done a ton of FREE repro paperwork and found that shortly after I completed some files following extensive research, suddenly very similar repros would pop up on Ebay! Hhhhmmmm...
TM

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Sat May 12, 2007 15:29

That is funny. Well at least if Steve gripes about getting "ripped off" by someone he can't say that he had his research taken. I provided all of the measurements, etc to him without even a "thanks" from him, so I guess that is a risk you take. These are quite a bit higher pricewise than Steves it looks like.
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

Alain
Major
Major

Mon May 14, 2007 10:04

Hi Todd and Doc,
I regret above situation - but as you know, this is not easy to avoid - there will always be unscrupulous people, whether collectors or vendors, the first to show off and pretend it is their own work, and the others to make a quick buck - when you post data and illustrations on the web, it entails some risks, and while it is meant to HELP and STIMULATE other collectors, you'll never know whether they will be honest enough to use it all for themselves or their re-enactment group .
I know Ben had problems with some of his personal designs, and I got ripped off many a time, up to the point that some people even offered items to me, I had designed and made myself ! Last week I wrote an eBay vendor, who had just unscrupulously taken over a summary text of mine about Dog Tags (I made a study on the subject that took me 3 years to complete, and it still isn't final), just to show off and boost his sales, and of course w/o bothering to ask my permission ! I've had re-enactors selling my own reproduced ammo boxes on the net, etc. and European Re-e Associations, copying my English texts about re-enactment and ETO historical data, because they don't speak English, and they badly want to include something more, to show they 'know' what they're talking about .
I guess we can be mad, pissed off, and write to these offenders, but very few will ever reply, and if they do, often pretend they didn't know and state other poor excuses, so ... we'll just have to live with it, and try to avoid these situations, by being a little more cautious ... maybe ...
All the best,
Alain (MRC)

Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon May 14, 2007 16:45

Alain,

You summed it all up the best. As frustrating as it is at times, that is the risk we all take. But, a glutton for punishment I must be, because I keep doing my paperwork as time allows! I enjoy it too much to let it get to me really. ;)
TM

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Re: Interesting...

Fri Oct 07, 2011 02:05

Alain,
Funny you should mention being sold your own items. I was at a militaria show a few years ago and had a guy try and sell me some "original" huck towels. Well, they were originals. My reproduction originals! I had sold a bunch over the internet to vaious collectors. I included an intentional "flaw" on the rubber "MD USA" stampings so I could detect them later as the repros I had produced in case it was an issue. Didn't take long to see them come back around. Not exactly the same situation as were talking about here but the guy selling them was an experienced collector and knew better.

Hope you are all enjoying autumn. Has been a very (record setting) HOT summer here in Texas.
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted

1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

Return to “Off Topic Chat”