jumpwings
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Feb 24, 2009 02:52

I remember looking at that site a few moons ago, and though quite informative, I did find it very general and somewhat vague and left many questions unanswered (for me anyway) I have to say, can't remember reading that...Though should have -DOH!!

Having said that, the copy of the QMC report I have is dated September 1944 and there is no mention there of a compressed cereal bar, I do note that site mentions that "in the final specifications" which would probably be post war, or VERY late war, in which you wouldn't find them with the troops because: Post war (obvious...lol)... late war, bearing in mind they peaked at 3 million produced a month, there was a very big stock and issue would depend on old stocks being used up first...The report does mention a glut in procurement and some stocks where frozen till demand at a later date, in which case the old spec rations was used first...

Another thing to consider, I have one original K ration and with just a single D bar it is very tight fit and I doubt wether a fruit bar and a cereal bar would fit, unless ofcourse they reduced the size of said fruit bar, and/or a reduction in the biscuits?

I do find it unusual that a cereal bar was not considered in the K ration seeing as they placed one in the C ration earlier than this website alludes to...

I have wrote to Frt Lee for clarification on these points and will let you know... :)

"The more I learn, the less I know"...

jumpwings
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Feb 25, 2009 01:33

Got an answer:

"C.Q.D No. 28H
31 August 1945
Superseding C.Q.D N28G
31 October 1944"

In which on page 5 says:
"E-2a. Cereal, Premixed, Compressed. One and a half ounces of premixed cereal shall be cmopressed into a rectangular block having overall dimensions not to exceed 3-3/16 inches in length by 1-31/6 inches in width by 3/4 inch in depth. Any 100 blocks selected at random, shall weigh 150 ounes or more, and no block shall weigh less than 1.3 ounces. Sufficient pressure shall be exerted on the cereal to make a block that can be eaten without crmubling, and yet reconstitute satisfactorarily when crumbled and mixed with hot or cold water.

The compressed cereal block shall be wrapped and sealed in either 450 MSAT-89 or PMB2GSK celophane. The wrap shall conform closely to contour of the block."

There ye go, August 1945 which would, after procurement, take this "compressed cereal bar" outwith Wartime K ration, meaning Post War and incorrect for any Normandy impression along with the so called "moral boxes" which only began production in May of 1944...

The composition and texture of this cereal block, I will try and find out, I know I've had many a conversation with one of the guys in the group (Gordon) and will post back as soon as we can figure this out...

Ben
Major
Major

Wed Feb 25, 2009 08:43

Do you have access to CQD N28G Paul?

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

jumpwings
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Feb 25, 2009 09:49

Morning Ben

No, and I can see why you would want to see it, however, CQD 28H is the earliest my Fort Lee contact can find regarding cereal bars/blocks in the K ration, and he only sent me pages 1,2 and 5 as they where rellevant to my inquiry....

In the alliedforum, gordon mentions the compressed cereal bars might be the very same composition as the ones in the Brit compo Rations, the QMC report alludes to the welcome the U.S Army divisions gave to the Brit compo in North Africa, indeed I think the 5in1 was based on it....

I am glad this has been raised again, and you pointing this out Ben as this is something I have been thinking about for a few years now...Always takes another head to point out the obvious
:wink: :) For me, at least now, the question of the cereal bar in the K has been sorted... 8)
Paul

Ben
Major
Major

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:14

Thanks Paul.
It would certainly be interested to see what information the report which is superseded by the version your Ft. Lee contact was able to locate. I wonder whether or not it might be worth contacting the QM Found. to see what data they might hold about the use of the Cereal Bar...
Regards,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

jumpwings
Corporal
Corporal

Wed Feb 25, 2009 14:55

QM Foundation?...wrote to them a few years ago....

I have asked for a copy of the 28G.....The beers I owe this guy are mounting up!! :? :D

Paul

jumpwings
Corporal
Corporal

Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:05

Here is the answer:

"Do Not have copies of CQD 28, E< F<G> They were never
sent
here. So probably only natick would have copies of them. Hoping this will
help. Cereal not done till CQD H
"

He did send a photographic chart presumably from QMC, in which is listed the various changes in composition of the K, I've placed on photobucket here:

Of note is the change from D bar to sweet chocolate, and caramel nougat which was included at a late stage in the 10in1...As well as orange or grape powder....

I wonder if the current K boxes on Ebay which appear now and then date from post war?

Return to “Off Topic Chat”