sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

favorite military movie

Tue Jan 13, 2009 00:21

I looked and I can't find anyone starting this topic, so let's hear about your favorite military film or medic character and why.

Has anyone seen Saints and Soldiers?
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:23

I've seen it only once and I think it's one of the worst WW2 movies I've ever seen.
And looking at the time that the movie was made, it could have been so much better.

That one and 'When Trumpets Fade'.
It's because of that movie we see so many re-enactors wear their Wool Knit caps backwards...
'29th, Let's Go!'

Ben
Major
Major

Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:02

Hi Peter,
I have to agree with Johan. I saw "Saints & Soldiers" and really wasn't impressed with the movie.
Probably one of my favourites however, has to be the 1949 film "Battleground"; if you haven't already seen it, I'd highly recommend doing so !
Thanks for an interesting thread,
Ben ;)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

ETO-MED
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Jan 13, 2009 16:54

Have to agree with Ben on "Battleground" then it would be "Pork chop hill" Gregory Peck. In third place it would be "The Hunters" (Crap but good if you know what i mean :shock: ) i detect a slight Korean war slant in there somewhere..............maybe a future impression

Alfie
The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Thu Jan 15, 2009 22:23

Thanks for the warnings about Saints. I remember that it was only in the theater here for a week or two and never really heard anything about it.

For me, its hard to pick just ONE best war movie. I would definitely agree that Battleground is at the top of any list. I'm also a fan of A Walk In The Sun. It does a great job of capturing the uncertainty and the long periods of boredom punctuated moments of terror of those on the front lines. Anyone remember if there is a medic character?

I also enjoyed the portrayal of Doc Wade in SPR. Giovanni did an amazing job of showing the mental anguish suffered by combat medics. Doc Wade showed his deep concern about those under his care.

Doc Roe from Band of Brothers was also well done. In Band of Brothers you see the powerful relationship that develops between the grunts and their Doc.

All's Quiet on the Western Front deserves some mention as well.

Anyone seen "The Story of GI Joe" from 1945?
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

GauzeBandage
Sergeant
Sergeant

Fri Jan 16, 2009 03:41

My favorites are Downfall (it was made in Germany), Saints and Soldiers (which I do like a lot, the plot.) and When Trumpets Fade.
Technician 5th Grade, 3rd Infantry Division
WWII Airsoft Association

Combat Record
- Mignano Gap, Italy (2008)

doc ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Mon Feb 16, 2009 21:48

ETO-MED wrote: I detect a slight Korean war slant in there somewhere..............maybe a future impression

YES! Join the dark side and re-enact a US KW medic! :twisted: Ditch the brassard and pick up a carbine!

My favorite war movies in no particular order:

The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick Version)
Saving Private Ryan
Letters From Iwo Jima
Flags of Our Fathers
Stalingrad
Der Untergang (Downfall)
Band of Brothers (does this count?)
Pork Chop Hill
Gallipoli
Full Metal Jacket

(WE NEED MORE GOOD KW MOVIES, DAMMIT!)

Favorite On-screen Medic: Doc Roe from BoB

On a side note: I have a ton of prop bandages with theatrical blood on 'em left over from "Saints and Soldiers". I didn't like the film, though. What were they portraying, the Malmedy Massacre? I didn't know the 101st was there! LOL! :P Three men from my hometown (Bedford, VA), however, were...

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Tue Feb 17, 2009 00:21

Hi Ryan -

There have been some pretty good KW movies which, much like the war, have not been fully appreciated. Unfortunately I can't remember many of them. Admittedly there have been more movies related to air combat than ground combat.

The Steel Helmet (1951) doesn't have a lot of battle scenes but is a good psychological drama. You mentioned Pork Chop Hill. There was a Korean produced movie about 4 or 5 years ago that got pretty good reviews that I have not seen.

BTW ... wasn't Bedford, VA the home town of a lot of guys from Co A 116th Inf Regt?

Peter
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

doc ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Tue Feb 17, 2009 16:55

sgtpeter wrote: There was a Korean produced movie about 4 or 5 years ago that got pretty good reviews that I have not seen.

BTW ... wasn't Bedford, VA the home town of a lot of guys from Co A 116th Inf Regt?

Peter

1. The film you are referring to is Tae Guk Gi. While it was a great film, it doesn't make my "tops" list. I'll have to check out "The Steel Helmet". I'm more into psychological studies than action...

2. That is correct. I was fortunate growing up to be able to meet a lot of the survivors (Nance, Slaughter, etc.) My Great-Uncle was in the 29th Division but he was not in that Regt. He was with the QM dept. for the division, so he didn't land until later. What a lot of ppl don't realize is that three Bedford County soldiers were involved in the Malmedy Massacre. Two died, one survived (Bill Merriken).

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Mon Mar 09, 2009 18:44

I'm with Ben on "Battleground" my tie with that movie for favorite WW2 Movie is " The True Story of GI Joe"... look it up you gotta see it.
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

littlelotte
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Mar 11, 2009 01:39

Okay, here is the picks from a girl.....
1. To Hell and Back
2. 1944 (Yes I know it is a comedy)
3. Patton
4. For the Boys
and there is one more that I cannot remember the name of, but I love it. It stars Richard Thomas from the Waltons and it is about either the Bulge or the Hurtegen Forest. It has been a really long time since I have seen it, but it really made me think.
Thanks,
-Lisa :(
"Do you mean to say American nurses are here so soon?"
"Little did they know that we had come off with them, waded ashore, and dodged bullets just as they had." -LT Theresa Archard, Chief Nurse, 2nd Unit, 48th Surgical Hospital

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Wed Mar 11, 2009 02:37

Lisa, are you sure its not "1941" ? ; )
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted

1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Wed Mar 11, 2009 05:01

Hi Lisa - Glad to hear your list. As for the Richard Thomas film, are you thinking about All's Quiet on The Western Front? Its a WW1 film, but I can't think of anything that would have been WW2 Ardennes or Huertgen.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Wed Mar 11, 2009 05:23

Battleground is a popular choice. As for Story of GI Joe, I saw it many years ago and just found it in the last couple of days. Haven't had the chance to watch it yet though.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

littlelotte
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Mar 11, 2009 19:43

Lisa, are you sure its not "1941" ? ; )

Yes, it is, I cannot talk and type...LOL. I was chatting with my hubby while I was typing.... :oops:

Hi Lisa - Glad to hear your list. As for the Richard Thomas film, are you thinking about All's Quiet on The Western Front? Its a WW1 film, but I can't think of anything that would have been WW2 Ardennes or Huertgen

That is what my hubby and I were talking about when I was typing. I must have the actor wrong. I just cannot think of the name of that movie. It was about American soldiers that were pinned down in a forest, with foxholes, etc. It was very cold, and snowy. I remember them being attacked by the Germans, and one guy left his foxhole to go to another and the one he had just left got blown up with his friend in it. It might have had that guy who played the kid in "Silver Spoons" in it, I think his name is Rick Shroeder. I give up, I guess it was just my imagination.
Sorry Guys,
-Lisa
"Do you mean to say American nurses are here so soon?"

"Little did they know that we had come off with them, waded ashore, and dodged bullets just as they had." -LT Theresa Archard, Chief Nurse, 2nd Unit, 48th Surgical Hospital

Return to “Off Topic Chat”