Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, MO - April 2007

Sat May 05, 2007 21:12

A couple of quick pics of our unit's last event, WWII Weekend at Jefferson Barracks Park in St. Louis, Missouri.

This is a picture of a fellow reenactor and friend and msyelf. Doc Ian is on the left and is a D.O. as well as a NG Brigade Surgeon. I, Todd, am on the right hand side. The WC54 belongs to a fellow reenactor and friend of ours, GWA on the board, and is a beautifully restored 1942.

A picture of our unit at the Saturday morning formation and flag raising.
TM

Alain
Major
Major

Jefferson Barracks, April 2007

Sat May 05, 2007 22:00

Hi Todd,
Great pictures ! Thanks for posting them here .
Btw, is the (Infantry) Guidon an original ?
Alain (MRC) :?:

Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sat May 05, 2007 22:41

Thanks for the compliment Alain!

As far as the Guidon, it is a modern replica. Our reenacting unit consists of 3 groups: the primary being Co. H, 334th IR, 84th ID and the two sub groups being the 309th Med Bn and 12th AG WACs. We have Guidons for all three groups, but the 84th and the 309th are modern repros. The WAC's Guidon might be an original if I remember correctly though. Typically, the unit falls under one guidon at formations though.
TM

Alain
Major
Major

Sun May 06, 2007 15:43

Todd,
One more question - did you make the Medical Guidon yourself, or did you have it made somewhere ? and does it look 'genuine' enough to represent a WW2 version ?
I was trying to have one made (over here), but I can't seem to find or obtain the correct colored (maroon) cloth material ... would you have a picture of it to show (if possible) ?
Sorry for the number of questions .
Thanks and best regards,
Alain (MRC) :oops:

Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sun May 06, 2007 20:27

No worries on the questions Alain! I am happy to help those that have helped me so much!

Anyway, the Guidon was purchased from an Ebay vendor that makes them. The cost of the Guidon was about 1/3 of the price of the staff! As far as correctness, we have not been able to find any picture/historical evidence of our Medical Bn's Guidon up to now. As far as basic historical accuracy of the Guidon, ??? What are your thoughts? Regardless, here is the link to the vendor that made my 309th guidon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6576428898

The Guidon they supply is a one sided, painted Guidon. I opted for the cotton ties in lieu of the grommets. Here are a couple of quick pics.

TM

Alain
Major
Major

Medical Guidon

Mon May 07, 2007 21:07

Thanks for your illustrations Todd, including the vendor's address .
I am sorry but need to tell you, that subject Guidon is a poor copy of a WW2 model . Please look at the illustrations contained in our Article on Identification of Medical ... there are pictures (B/W + color) that's how they should look .
While the Maroon Guidon's color is fine, it looks correctly swallow-tailed, the White Caduceus is also acceptable, but the White Digits should be placed above the Caduceus (any subordinate units under the Caduceus), and there should be no white part near the hoist (entire Guidon is Maroon) .
A Guidon is not attached with ties or grommets (for rope) . Both top and bottom of the Guidon have small leather tongues inside the Guidon's part (that slides around the staff) and those are screwed into the wooden staff itself . Both versions exist, with either all markings on ONE side only, or on both sides (meaning one side has its symbols reversed) . WW2 staffs were one-piece, and broken-down ones (two parts) were only introduced by the end of the war . Covers or cases were always plain khaki or olive-drab . Guidon cloth is wool bunting, or cotton, never polyester, and symbols are always sewn on, never painted or printed . Of course one can argue that some units did have Guidons manufactured locally within a Theater, and those versions probably did not entirely follow AR .
I hope you won't mind my comments, they're meant to help, not to criticize .
Regards,
Alain (MRC) :wink:

Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Tue May 08, 2007 01:52

No worries, I appreciate the constructive comments! While I figured that the Guidon wasn't perfect, I didn't realize it was that far off. But, luckily, the price wasn't too bad. I will have to work on eventually correcting the guidon (read acquiring a new one).

Thanks!
TM

Return to “Photographs and Video”