GauzeBandage
Sergeant
Sergeant

Nobody Ever Posts!

Sat Apr 19, 2008 23:27

I have noticed that it takes so long for people to post here! Why? Perfect reason for a forum, but no-one responds :)
Technician 5th Grade, 3rd Infantry Division
WWII Airsoft Association

Combat Record
- Mignano Gap, Italy (2008)

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Sun Apr 20, 2008 08:07

Hey Gauze - It does seem a quieter forum at times, but the site admins are pretty quick to post and pretty knowledgeable. I think contributing to the slowness is that there are only 96 registerd users on this site and the content is very specific. As comparison, the WW2 Dodge forum has 398 users and their content is more broad. Plus people always need to know how to service the wazzit or fix the gidgit. With this content, once you find out that you need an EMT book for NCO medic bag, there really isn't much more discussion. The EMT books even have instructions to properly fill them out. One thing I think would be nice is to have a photo library of different medical items to speed identification of what you need or what you got. That being said, you have to admit that Ben and Alain have done an amazing job compiling a huge amount of US Army Medical Dept data into a usable format.

PS ... we can make this a pretty active site if you like :wink:
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

GauzeBandage
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Apr 20, 2008 13:26

Ben and Alain are amazing! I can't imagine how they got all the Item Numbers, and the entire battle histories. Wow.

That EMT Book statement reminded me, I have a question about EMT Books.

:D Really :D
Technician 5th Grade, 3rd Infantry Division

WWII Airsoft Association

Combat Record

- Mignano Gap, Italy (2008)

Ben
Major
Major

Sun Apr 20, 2008 17:35

Hi there Pfc.,
I think that Peter has summed up the reasons for the delayed reactions here on the Forums excellently. The US Medical Department in particular is a very specialized area, and in comparison to other Forums has a much narrower target audience and discussion area. However, we do try to be as prompt as possible in offering up responses or reactions to posts, but as you can appreciate to go away and research a topic which has been posted in the Forum takes some time, and since both Alain and I run the site as a personal venture managing Forum posts, writing new Articles and managing a day job can sometimes be a little overwhelming. We're both re-enactors too, so we spend most weekends either in a foxhole or preparing some of our equipment for same.
It certainly would be nice to have a more active Forum here, but I think for all of these reasons it might be difficult.
sgtpeter wrote:One thing I think would be nice is to have a photo library of different medical items to speed identification of what you need or what you got

This is something we had thought about adding when compiling our list of Item Numbers, but unfortunately I think it would take too much web space and bandwidth. However, if there is anything that you aren't too sure on, then please feel free to post on here and I'm sure you'll get a reply.
Thanks for your comments,
Ben :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Sun Apr 20, 2008 17:56

Posting photos of every medial item would certainly consume a huge amount of disk space. I understand that nothing comes for free and that you two are footing the bill. Rather I was expressing the photo library as a nice to have. With the price of hard drives these days, I should really get off my ass and build a server at home to host my photos. But then I would still have to address bandwidth issues and I'm pretty sure my broadband service provider would get upset with the traffic increase.

And that's why I have been trying to capture as many photos of items as possible.

Anyways, it was mostly a nice to have for sometime in the future. :)
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

Ben
Major
Major

Sun Apr 20, 2008 18:24

Hi Peter,
It's not so much the space per se, but rather the bandwidth as you say. Perhaps we will be able to gradually build this section of the site up sometime in the future, but there are some more pressing issues at the moment :)
Thanks,
Ben :D
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Sun Apr 20, 2008 18:34

I wish had the time that I could offer up some assistance Ben, but I'm literally on my last free weekends before my schedule is booked solid thru about Aug or Sept 2009.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
a couple of band-aids

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Fri Apr 25, 2008 02:54

When you consider the depth of the topic, and the limited appeal (it's not the Jeep forum), I'm impressed with the caliber of all of the participants and the detail that we can amass when we pool our resources. This forum in a year has been able to expand my knowledge considerably, and I hope to lurk here for years to come.

Ben & Alain - don't sweat the photos - we can always go out to the garage to take more (if we can find the camera!)
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

Return to “Off Topic Chat”