916matt
Sergeant
Sergeant

203rd gen hosp then & now.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:47

Hi All,most of you wont know me ,so im matt & i live in chichester & i re-enact a medic attached to the 1st infantry & enjoy finding & re-photographing original ww2 photo's. i have recently been in touch with lois the daughter of captian robert l,shiner of the us army dental corps attached to 203rd general hospital who where based in petworth prior to d-day,the link is petworth is just 10 miles from me ,so i asked her permission to do some then & now photo's to which she kindly agreed . this is hopefully an ongoing project. ( the original photo's are reproduced with the kind permission from her father ) thanks matt.
Attachments
DSCN1168.JPG
DSCN1176.JPG
DSCN1172.JPG
DSCN1169.JPG
DSCN0846.JPG

Ben
Major
Major

Fri Aug 15, 2008 19:47

Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing these illustrations with us. This is certainly an interesting project, and I am sure that Lois will be delighted with the results. If you're able to find any more of the locations in the pictures that Lois has, then please feel free to share them with us. I assume that Lois has directed you to the website that we help her to maintain > http://hospitals.med-dept.com/203rd.General.Hospital/ ?

Thanks again, and good luck with the project!
Ben :D
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Aug 26, 2008 15:02

Yes, Matt's then/now pictures are wonderful, not only those of Petworth shown here, but also all the other ones he's taken at different sites in Southern England.

I had a box of jumbled unlabeled pictures, which I could group only by the developer's roll number on the back of each image. This was identical for each picture in a roll, and was how pictures were identified when they were professionally developed then.

I used what I believed was the "Petworth" set to illustrate the period when the 203rd General Hospital was stationed there, but couldn't be positive the photos were taken in Petworth itself. Matthew has confirmed that, so take notice, Ben! We're going to be able to relabel all of those pictures, and to situate them accurately.

Return to “Photographs and Video”