jumpwings
Corporal
Corporal

Medic armbands

Fri Apr 03, 2009 09:18

This has came up a few times within the group, we can't find any photos of medics wearing their armbands on the right arm(one of our chaps done this a couple of weeks ago at an open day and one of us pulled him up, but then we started to question ourselves, as we do :) ) and I would like to ask here:

Medic armbands in the U.S Army, where they worn on the right at any time, and if only on the left arm, why?

I've also got a few photos of the FSSF wearing them on their helmets, or what appears to be armbands...Will post photos soon...

Alain
Major
Major

Re: Medic armbands

Sat Apr 04, 2009 14:55

Hi Jumpwings,
As per Army Regulations, all Brassards (or Armbands) were to be worn on the left arm, just like the SSI of the current unit to which the soldier belonged .
In some cases, later in WW2, it was common to wear 2 brassards for enhanced visibility, in order to properly designate members of the Armed Forces protected by the Geneva Condition . As there were no ARs governing 'markings' representing the Geneva Convention to be painted on helmets, some GIs just slid another brassard under the camo net . Later when duly authorized by the local unit commander(still no ARs) or upon directions from higher authorities, it was recommended to 'paint' Geneva Cross' symbols on helmets, and to use plenty of identical symbols on vehicles and equipment (the wide variety in such symbols is explained by the lack of ARs, although there was a tendency w/i one and the same unit, to try and achieve a certain uniformity) .
I hope above helps ...
Alain 8)
MRC Administrator

PAdoc
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sat Apr 04, 2009 20:35

It is true that regulations for the wearing of all brassards and many other arm and shoulder devices specify the left side. The reason for the custom may be due to the fact that most soldiers are right handed and something worn on the right side might more easily get shaken loose or else get in the way of that more active extermity.

jumpwings
Corporal
Corporal

Tue Apr 07, 2009 20:48

Thanks for that guys...Answered my question... 8)

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Thu Apr 09, 2009 09:40

Some US Signal Corps Pictures to illustrate what is written above...

'29th, Let's Go!'

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Fri Apr 10, 2009 00:17

hhmmm ... I wonder why there are 7 medics on top of the hedgerow and only 1 at the bottom ... I see a potential problem there.

Those are a couple of good photos Johan!
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Return to “Re-Enactment General”