TenthA86
Captain
Captain

is there interest? (CH Stole, etc.)

Fri Mar 26, 2010 04:08

One of my side impressions at the Aid Station is that of a Chaplain. (I'm a former minister, so this allows me to keep my hand in at that MOS.) Some of the items a CH used have been hard to locate, so I am considering the reproduction of a couple of select pieces.

First on the list is a Chaplain's stole. I am negotiating with a clerical garment maker to reproduce the original pattern stole in black satin with yellow embroidery and black fringe. If we can come together at the price I hope to achieve, I believe I can offer these for xxxx each shipped PPD in the US (probably $10 higher to EU/UK). This seems to be about 1/2 or 1/3 of the cost of an original. Is there anyone interested? If so, please e-mail me off list so I can stay in touch as this project progresses.

I also plan to explore reproducing the sterling Christian Chaplain's cross (BOS) with the pin back (copied from an original) this Fall, and am talking to a possible maker for the Hymnal Chest to be done this Winter. While I'd like to reproduce the Communion Set, the cost of silver has proven to be excessive. If available at a reasonable price, would anyone consider pewter?

I may be reached through this forum or at TenthA86@qwest.net. Your responses do not constitute an order - I'm just trying to guage the interest level.

D
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Re: is there interest? (CH Stole, etc.)

Fri Mar 26, 2010 05:24

Sounds like an interesting and unique idea Dave. I'm afraid I would get struck down if I tried that impression.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Fri Mar 26, 2010 13:11

LOL - the "Saint Peter" role has already been taken, but we can always find something for you to do. Know how to play the organ?
David J. Little

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Sat Mar 27, 2010 18:57

Ok, you caught me. I figured if I changed St to Sgt, nobody would notice ... :)

Yes, I could probably manage turning the crank on the organ without hurting anyone.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Sun Apr 25, 2010 20:48

The project is moving forward, and we are having some success with this and other Chaplain related projects. The sample of the Chaplain's Stole should be recieved here within the next week, and the price should be $xxx delivered to you. These are made to order, and take about 3 weeks to complete each one. (I got my samples in today, and am quite impressed. They look very much like the original!)

I have found a source for Chaplain's Hymnal Chests - this is the late-war or post-war pattern with the metal handles rather than the leather handles. They are $xxx + shipping. I am working on a conversion kit to put the leather handles on these chests, and will post the results. Contact me if you are interested.

Chaplain's Flags - I have a supplier who will make a nautical quality Nylon flag (not wool like the WWII flag) for a reasonable price. $xxx + shipping!

Chaplain's insignia in sterling silver. There is one company reproducing these including the vintage hallmark. Expensive but worth it.

The last piece I have completed is a copy of the sweatshirt sold at the Harvard Divinity School's "PX" (when the school hosted the Army Chaplain's School during the War). http://www.cafepress.com/WWII_PX_Shop.327647669

This could be as involved as my Aid Station exhibit! Ack!
David J. Little

LOZ
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Wed Apr 28, 2010 22:09

Shalom

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Thu Apr 29, 2010 01:35

My rabbinical kit is far from complete - this stuff is hard to find! I hope to offer the Jewish stole later this year, is deference to all of the Jewish servicemen, am Yisrael.

Ani koreh ivrit, aval lo medaber.
David J. Little

Doc1944
Private

Wed Oct 13, 2010 00:39

Dave,
I see this post is a little old, but how did you ever make out with the stole?

GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Wed Oct 13, 2010 00:55

I am also interested, not so much for myself, but I am attempting to find a chaplain for my new unit so he will need to be equipped. Also, any suggestions for finding a chaplain would be appreciated. I feel a little odd just randomly asking clergymen "Want to be a military chaplain for a reenacting unit?"

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed Oct 13, 2010 04:41

Why not just ask, a lot of military chaplains were pretty down to earth.

Am attaching a picture of the Catholic Chaplain of the 203rd General Hospital's jeep. Father Bernard Cremer and his assistant George Langdon named it. You can barely make out the words between the two crosses painted on the windshield of the jeep close to the front of the line, but Langdon's family told me they say "Padre's Pony".

You can click on the picture to enlarge.

Lois
Attachments
54.jpg

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Fri Oct 15, 2010 02:37

I like Padre's Pony - see, even Chaplains can have a sense of humor! I saw one that was called "The Pulpit", but I didn't save a copy of the photo. Darn.

The stole project has done well so far. I'm working with the CMH and the Chaplain's Museum to have them "authorize" the reproduction, but that is a slow process. I do have Army Legal Office permission to make the stole. I have sold a few copies, and sent one to a CH in Afghanistan who wanted the "old school" stole rather than the new style, and another CH candidate who wants one for both reenacting and active duty.

I can also do them in silk brocade, although the originals were not silk, these do have a nicer feel to them. The silk is $XXX and takes a few weeks longer. Personally, the original is still the best bet. At $XXX, it's not cheap, but it's a lot better than the few you find on E-Bay. I just finalized a deal on repro Jewish and Christian BOS devices - sterling, hallmarked & old school pin back. $45.00/pr (about 1/2 what the originals go for). A small lot of stoles is expected in November for immediate delivery - great Christmas presents! CH flags (Christian only at this point) available, too

If your unit has a Chaplain, I'd be happy to help him with his kit. Maybe we can get Alain to do the Geneva card with a CH marking (it's just the ID No on the back side, I believe)

Dave
David J. Little

GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sat Oct 16, 2010 00:45

Why not just ask, a lot of military chaplains were pretty down to earth.

Yeah, but not all civilian chaplains are that open and those would be the folks I would be approaching.

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sat Oct 16, 2010 01:29

Lots of latent patriotism out there right now. They may surprise you.

And if they say no, so what.....thank you anyway, and move on.

Just a personal opinion of course, Lois

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Tue Nov 13, 2012 03:47

Ben recently got one of my Christian stole/scarf - any comments you'd like to share? I now have the Jewish tallit available...
David J. Little

LOSMP
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Nov 13, 2012 04:35

For anyone interested in the tallit or the entire subject, there's a new book: "The GI's Rabbi, World War II Letters of David Max Eichhorn", by Mark S. Zaid. Typical story in the US, man discovers his grandfather was a chaplain in World War II, even was at the liberation of Dachau, adult grandchild knew and remembered his grandfather, but had no idea he had served, or in what capacity. Tracks down letters which were at home of relatives, he reads, learns, writes book. Went to a local talk by the author, there's much social, religious and historical background about this chaplain who landed on Omaha Beach in July, 1944, and was with the Third, First, and then Seventh Armies. This would be an extremely helpful book for anyone interested in the subject, or creating a chaplain impression. Lois

Return to “For Sale”