Ben
Major
Major

Update as of 19.02.11

Sat Feb 19, 2011 14:47

Dear readers,

We have now been able to compile and edit the full timeline of the USS "Hope" (AH-7) during WW2. This concise history has been taken from the personal journal of Col. Thomas B. Protzman, Commanding Officer of the 215th Medical Hospital Ship Complement. This new addition can be found in the Testimonies section of our main website. Alternatively, please click on the link below to go directly to the Article:

USS "Hope" (AH-7) Timeline and Col. Thomas B. Protzman's Testimony

As usual, we would certainly welcome your comments.

Thanks and kind regards,
Ben & Alain :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Re: Update as of 19.02.11

Sun Feb 20, 2011 01:19

Wow! This is a great treasure of information and I found it an incredible read. There was a couple entries especially interesting and should address some questions about weapons for medics.

Sunday, 15 October 1944: Pacific Ocean
" In the morning I’m going to issue .45 cal automatic pistols to my Officers and I also want to make sure they know how to use them."

Sunday, 15 April 1945: Okinawa
"This time I had been told to carry a .30 caliber carbine as enemy snipers were picking out men who carried .45s as Officers. We were nevertheless shot at several times and returned fire, which stopped the enemy guns."

I think this entries are consistent with what most of use have been saying - all medics may not have carried a firearm all the time, but there were certainly exceptions - especially in the Pacific theater.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Alain
Major
Major

Sun Feb 20, 2011 15:41

Hi Peter,
Yes indeed, subject statements are from Colonel B. T. Protzman's personal Journal.
It is also consistent with the fact that Navy Corpsmen often only had those small white dots on helmets and fatigues in lieu of the more conspicuous GC markings (red cross on white background) worn in the MTO and ETO Theaters!
The Japanese seem to have had much less respect for medical personnel ...

THanks for your inputs.
All the best,
Alain :wink:
MRC Administrator

GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon Feb 21, 2011 17:10

sgtpeter wrote:Wow! This is a great treasure of information and I found it an incredible read. There was a couple entries especially interesting and should address some questions about weapons for medics.

Every corpsman or aidman I have ever talked to who served in operations against the Japanese has mentioned carrying a gun. I've met one who served in the ETO who was given a pistol but traded it for a bottle of wine. The whole "weapons for medics" issue seems to depend upon where the medic was serving at.

Bob M

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:29

GliderRiderMedic wrote:The whole "weapons for medics" issue seems to depend upon where the medic was serving at.

Yes true, but where did they wore their guns? Hidden inside their uniforms, or worn in a holster hooked to a pistol belt?

GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Tue Feb 22, 2011 14:41

Bob M wrote:
GliderRiderMedic wrote:The whole "weapons for medics" issue seems to depend upon where the medic was serving at.

Yes true, but where did they wore their guns? Hidden inside their uniforms, or worn in a holster hooked to a pistol belt?

Based on what I was told by veterans, if they were in the PTO and had a weapon, they openly carried. It didn't matter since the Japanese didn't observe the Geneva Convention and there's no point in having a weapon somewhere you can't get to very easily.

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Tue Feb 22, 2011 19:11

Based on the diary of Col Protzman, looks like they did open carry as well. He mentions being on Okinawa and Jap snipers targeting guys with pistols so he started carrying a carbine. In another of his entries he alludes to the fact that he returned fire with his carbine when attacked by Jap snipers.

I don't have any historical info to indicate what they did in the ETO/MTO.

Again, this seems to be the exception rather than the norm in all theaters. And I would also point out that Col Protzman's diary only indicates officer's carried firearms. There is no mention of enlisted or NCO carrying firearms. There was at least one other entry that indicated medical personnel used firearms to successfully repulse Jap attacks.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

Return to “Website Information”