docdean64
Captain
Captain

WC 18 "Load Out"

Tue Mar 15, 2011 04:26

Hey Fellas- Has anyone ever seen a "load out " / Equipment List for a WC-18 ambulance ( or similar model)?
A freind has one and was asking about what all gear it carried. Aside of 4 litters and a standard vehicle first aid kit I think that was about it, unless the medics put it aboard. Does anyone have any info to the contrary ?

Thanks in advance!
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: WC 18 "Load Out"

Tue Mar 15, 2011 18:42

Plus the regular equipment, spare parts and tools that every Dodge carried... These would be listed in the TM or SNL...

Didn't Ambulances carry Blanket Sets?
'29th, Let's Go!'

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Tue Mar 15, 2011 21:19

Johan, I think they did but didn't want to tell him that until I could confirm. I recall seeing somewhere about each litter would have two blankets and two patient straps but I have no idea where I read that now!
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted

1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Wed Mar 16, 2011 00:53

docdean64 wrote:Hey Fellas- Has anyone ever seen a "load out " / Equipment List for a WC-18 ambulance ( or similar model)?
A freind has one and was asking about what all gear it carried. Aside of 4 litters and a standard vehicle first aid kit I think that was about it, unless the medics put it aboard. Does anyone have any info to the contrary ?

Thanks in advance!

Where's your friend live at? I know someone up here who is looking at finishing out an ambulance (I think it's a WC-18) and I wonder if we're thinking of the same fellow.

sgtpeter
Captain
Captain

Mon Mar 21, 2011 21:54

You might check here for more information. If you look at the 3/4 ton section, Ben and Alain have provided a list of ambulance equipment as of 1943. I have not been able to figure out what "1 box of surgical dressings" actually means. I assuming that it is not a medical chest - 4 litter patients doesn't leave much room for the medical chest - so it might have been something smaller. The 1944 medical catalog lists a "9751700 Chest, ambulance, airplane" but it includes a lot of stuff that isn't surgical dressings. There is also "9782500 Surgical Dressing Set" but it does not indicate the chest that was used. This set includes among other things (8) 4 oz jars of boric acid ointment, 48 small first aid dresssings and bunch of other stuff that sounds like would require a standard medical chest. I have not found any other reference to the Surgical Dressing Set other than being listed in the 1944 catalog. I wouldn't be surprised if the box of dressings reference is generic and simply means "keep some bandages available". In that scenario, the box of dressings could be stored in an ammo crate or ration crate or whatever was available (which is what I do). Certainly that would have happened after the first couple of months in theater even if there was a specific chest to be used.

Historical photos have not provided any insight as to what would have been included except each ambulance had its own stuff depending on what the driver and attendant wanted to keep.
Peter

'43 Dodge WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
a couple of band-aids

steevo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fri Apr 03, 2015 16:14

I have just acquired a "chest, ambulance, airplane' box with no contents. Can anyone post a list of the contents and maybe a picture of the interior? I would like to start filling the drawers and compartments with the correct items. Thank you.

Return to “Reference Topics”