GliderRiderMedic
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

AAF Medical Uniforms

Sun Mar 20, 2011 22:54

Does anyone know what the "standard" work uniform for a AAF base medical detachment would have been? I'm trying to plan ahead for Oshkosh this year and my "regular Army" impression isn't going to be appropriate.

wrcook
Private

Re: AAF Medical Uniforms

Sat Sep 22, 2012 21:22

Stateside or overseas? Normally for officers, it would have been pinks and greens, either with or without the jacket. Dark shirt, dark trousers was a "common" work uniform, also pink trousers and dark shirt. Either cap. For EM, OD shade 33 shirt and trousers, with or without coat, either cap. Both would have had tie, left long with the coat, or tucked under the second button of the shirt. Much of this would have been at the discretion of the unit or post commander, some were strict, some didn't care. I would err on the side of looking soldierly ( ie. neat and pressed, with tie, shoes polished, brass polished etc.). Flight jackets might have been worn, but I would not push it unless you are a flight surgeon, flight jackets were hard to get for non flight personnel. Tanker Jacket were worn
at times.

Hope this helps some.

BillC

wrcook
Private

Sat Sep 22, 2012 21:24

BTW: I will try to scan a few photos from Dow Field from our collection. I think a couple show medical personnel.

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Tue Oct 23, 2012 03:08

My father's EM uniform when not on the flight line was winter Class B uniform with soft cap, tie and no leggings unless on the gate guard detail. He wasn't flight crew, but had an A2 for working the line or taking engineering test flights. He indicated to me that most of the guys who met the planes (crash crew is what he called them) wore HBT coveralls and Parsons jackets while on the line, with their wools and tie underneath.
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

WS-G
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Apr 30, 2019 06:37

This remains a good discussion topic, as my own impression -- actually based upon one of the characters in an historical novel I'm writing -- is a dual-rated AAF Flight Surgeon and Service Pilot of the Combat Glider Flying School.

Return to “Reference Topics”