dochoovie
Corporal
Corporal

Aid Station, local, hasty

Tue May 01, 2007 09:14

I'm looking for plans for the above referenced aid-station, found in section VII of Field Manual 5-15. Anybody out there know of this type setup, or can give me an idea of what it may look like?

Ben
Major
Major

Wed May 02, 2007 19:30

I'm afraid I can't offer any further information on this installation than is offered in Field Manual 5-15. I checked the various T/O & Es to see if there was any mention of a squad to equip such a unit, but there were no results.

Perhaps someone else on the forum may be able to help with your search.

Sorry I can't be of more help,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

dochoovie
Corporal
Corporal

Thu May 03, 2007 09:25

That's OK Ben- I appreciate you looking into it. Maybe someone else could offer some info.

Alain
Major
Major

Aid Station

Sat May 05, 2007 21:41

Hi Doc,
I consulted my FM 5-15, but there's no Section VII in this version ! Mind you, my copy of FM 5-15 is dated 14 February 1944 - entitled "Field Fortifications" . I assume yours is an early print, dated 1940, or maybe parts of C 1 (1941), C 2 (1941), or was this mentioned in Training Circulars No. 52 (1942) or No. 96 (1943) ?
Contents of Manuals (may) vary over the years, I therefore always find it interesting to consult different issues, so as to learn more about their evolution ...
Other forum members may have Manuals with other dates, also worthwhile to check .
Regards,
Alain (MRC)

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Sun May 06, 2007 02:46

I think these were the type of aid stations set up in house basements, big ditches, literally and hastily obtained positions with limited capacity. The supplies here were very minimal, usually litters and a few boxes of scrounged stuff to re-supply aid bags and use at the aid station. They were normally very informal and simple. I too checked my library for anything of assistance but the cupboard is bare here too!
MRC Moderator
"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"
“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted
33d Field Hospital/Re-enacted
1942 GPW Medical Jeep / Litter Carrier
1943 Converto T6 Trailer

Firetoad
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sun May 06, 2007 08:12

Not that I have the knowledge base near what docdean or Ben have, but I couldn't find anything either in my library. I even read through the organization and implementation chapters on field medicine in my '39 USN Hospital Corps Handbook.
TM

dochoovie
Corporal
Corporal

Sun May 06, 2007 14:36

Yes, the manual I got the hint from was dated Feb '41. The kind of setup I need is exactly what Roger talked about- I don't have near the stuff I need for a proper aid station. I have the sawhores-type litter stands, faux Med Chest #1, a couple litters and supplies. Unfortunately, the site this will be set up on is a big flat area devoid of any cover-type features- typical living history setting. I do have a nice machine gun tower I can tie off a camo net to and stake up for some overhead cover. We're a PTO unit for this event. I don't have the room I need for a nice wall-tent or pyramid tent setup- more of some sort of a 'shebang'-type deal. All the more reason why I was interested in the "hasty" aid area. Coming from an engineer manual, I'd figured there may be some sort of structure associated with this. Thanks to ALL who took time to check their materials to help me out with this one- It's great to see us all baning together for the common cause of helping each other. It is appreciated by all!

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Tue May 08, 2007 01:19

When I did PTO, several events we had a large "shell hole" dug with a back hoe and set up operation inside that. The navy / Marines were masters of the "hasty aid station" ala shell hole! If the organizers deny this cut brush stacked up will give folks the idea of some terrain elevation enough to give it a try or scout out your set up area for a natural terrain feature like a rise, berm etc. If it is like the several 100 I've done it is probably smack in the middle of a beatiful parade deck!! Good luck!
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

docdean64
Captain
Captain

Wed May 09, 2007 03:10

Just when you think all is lost sometimes there is a little ray of hope.......

I was browsing through a very early war copy of the USA Field Medical School Carlisle Barracks Souvenir Book this evening and spied what surely has to be a photo of the "Hasty Aid Station". The photo depicts 4 wounded men on litters (FTX) all placed in Trendelenburgs Position for shock, foot to foot in a cross pattern, a Mermite Can of plasma nearby as is a single "old school" dispensary/ treatment chest (one of the small WW1 era wooden jobs). The caption just says a bit about treatment of shock. Regardless it is a great depiction of WW2 medicine at the cradle of the war, and if I do say so myself very WW1 looking. The shots are circa 1942 as they are using slat grill jeeps in other photos. I included two other pics, one of a "BAS" the other of a Clearing Company with "Surgery" in progress. In the Clearing tent note the locations of the treatment chests and MD 1/ 2's. You can learn so much from pictures.

Hope this helps with the original questions.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/docdean64/cb.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/ ... /cb001.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/ ... /cb002.jpg
MRC Moderator

"So Others May Live"

"Cursimus cum forfex"

“We Run With Scissors”

111th Med BN/ Re-enacted

1943 Converto T6 Trailer

dochoovie
Corporal
Corporal

Wed May 09, 2007 07:52

THANKS for the pictures, Roger! Nice depictions of care in the field.

Ben
Major
Major

Wed May 09, 2007 22:40

Very nice photographs indeed Roger, many thanks for posting them up. I did notice a Blood "Marmite" in the first picture, which shows that they were being used as early as 41 / 42.

Thanks for sharing them with us,
Best regards,
Ben
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

WS-G
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Aid Station, local, hasty

Fri Jan 25, 2019 16:12

With regard to period field manuals, the vast majority are now available in electronic format through http://archive.org -- quite a number of university and government libraries have done an excellent job of scanning and uploading manuals from both World Wars and even earlier.

Return to “General Discussion”