Centauri
Private

Musette bags used as medic bags?

Thu May 30, 2013 20:55

while the medics had their own harness with bags at the start of the war, medics were still being designated in the field after D-day.
I've overheard some people speaking about the Musette bag being used as a medic bag instead of the medic harness, and that it became a ''trend'' among medics and people who got designated to medics in the field because they had more space, were easier to access in the heat of combat and it was easier to navigate through the bag compared to the two bags the standard medic harness had.

is there any truth to the story I've heard or is it complete nonsense?

I have seen some musette bags dated 1943 as well with the red cross insignia, but I don't know whether it's painted on post-war or not.

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Musette bags used as medic bags?

Fri May 31, 2013 20:43

I've had these two for ages and both came from sources outside the militaria collecting world...
So while I cannot prove the red crosses were added during WW2, they have definitely been on there for quite a while...

'29th, Let's Go!'

Centauri
Private

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:28

looks pretty good, maybe there's something to the story I've heard then.
it could be interesting to know the story behind that gas mask bag though, I find it fairly interesting that it got the red cross as well (it is a gas mask bag right?)

johan willaert
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:20

Yes, it's a gas mask bag and filled with medical supplies (bandages...) no story, just a flea market find...
'29th, Let's Go!'

WS-G
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Apr 30, 2019 04:15

johan willaert wrote:I've had these two for ages and both came from sources outside the militaria collecting world...
So while I cannot prove the red crosses were added during WW2, they have definitely been on there for quite a while...

Certainly plausible, however I cannot personally confirm. The image on the left, however, is the carrier for an M-9 (or earlier) gas mask from the late WW2 / early postwar period, and could potentially have been re-purposed for almost anything. Given its limited space, I cannot envision it being used as an expedient medic's bag unless absolutely nothing better were available.

Return to “General Discussion”