916matt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Litter covers/bags

Mon Jun 03, 2013 19:48

just wondering if anyone had any info on these litter covers/bags & what was written on them.

Ben
Major
Major

Re: Litter covers/bags

Mon Jun 03, 2013 21:37

Matt,
As far as I know, that isn't a bag, but rather an M1926 Life Preserver Belt that has been attached to the Litter in readiness for the amphibious landing. This is a practice that you can observe elsewhere, for example in the following illustration:

I can't help with the markings, but I suspect that they're probably some kind of unit identification.
Regards,
Ben.
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Bob M

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:55

What kind of Medical Bags are they using? Look like 2nd pattern M34 Bags, but the top of the bag looks different??

Ben
Major
Major

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:19

Bob,
As far as I can tell at that resolution, the Pouches are in fact those issued to USMC Corpsmen. The tops are closed by two Lift-the-Dot fasteners.
Regards,
Ben.
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47

916matt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu Jun 06, 2013 20:57

Thanks.

EricO
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sun Nov 02, 2014 18:27

I am no "expert." But as the unit bags the medics or "I think in this case corpsman" are carrying are the Navy pattern bags used by the Navy corpsman attached to USMC rifle companies, I might think they are from the often overlooked and unsung Naval Beach Battalions who were present at virtually every amphibious action of WW2. This would also be the case in a related question I had just viewed on the forum asking for the source of "The Utah Beach bag!"

Ben
Major
Major

Sun Nov 02, 2014 20:44

Eric,

Thank you for your message. The color photograph that I posted above shows members of the Engineer Special Brigade (notice the white crescent and Engineer insignia on their helmets). As already indicated, you're quite correct - the Pouches being carried by the personnel in the first photograph are indeed the USMC Corpsman Pouches, but I do not believe that the personnel pictured are members of the Naval Beach Battalions. The Geneva Convention markings applied to their M1 Helmets is not typical of the Beach Battalion personnel; I could be wrong, though.

Finally, regarding the 'Utah Beach Medical Bag', you are correct - it was based upon the Navy Shore Bag, and was likely inspired by the model during amphibious training in England. You can read more about it on the following page of our website > http://www.med-dept.com/articles/miscel ... ags-packs/.

In particular, the following excerpt is particularly pertinent:

A close study of photographs taken on Utah Beach of 4th Infantry Division medical personnel reveals that the unit was issued with a specially designed bag to hold medical supplies. The Bag was heavily based upon the Navy Shore Bag which was a standard piece of US Navy Medical Department equipment during WW2. Indeed, photographs taken during training exercises in England in the run-up to the invasion of Normandy show these latter Bags in use by 4th Infantry Division Medical Detachment personnel, and it is likely that these were obtained from the Navy Beach Battalions also training with the units.

As you will likely have read on our Forum, two versions of the Bag are known to exist. The Navy edition, and a special 'Army' version.

Hope the above helps, and thanks again for your comments,
Ben. :)
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47

EricO
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sat Nov 15, 2014 01:38

Hey Ben I am not saying I am correct but aside from the "Corpsmans bags" the signal light carried by the man a head of the two aidmen is often used by the signal units of the NBB's. Just trying to contribute to discussions on this Fantastic website and its' forum. Thanks as always for your insight. Eric

Return to “General Discussion”