Alpha72
Private

WC-54 Stretchers

Tue Mar 24, 2015 06:19

Hi,
I would like to have an opinion about these 2 stretchers that I'd like to buy, are they correct to equip a Dodge WC-54?
The first one seems to be a genuine '44 litter, the second I can't find any comparison but it's sold as a WW2 original.
In fact I would prefer the '43 litters with red logo in white circle but I think they are difficult to find in good conditions, any suggestion about?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ben
Major
Major

Re: WC-54 Stretchers

Tue Mar 24, 2015 15:46

Hi Alpha,

The first Litter that you have posted is OK and is certainly acceptable for a WW2 impression. Unfortunately, the second one is actually post-war (indicated by the US flanking the caduceus).

Regarding the earlier Litters, these do turn up from time to time, but it's a case of being patient and finding one that is sufficiently local to allow for delivery and or collection.

Regards,
Ben.
Ben Major
MRC Administrator
ben@med-dept.com

1943 Harley-Davidson WLA
1943 Douglas C-47
1944 Cushman 53 Airborne Motor Scooter

Alpha72
Private

Wed Mar 25, 2015 05:42

Hi Ben, nice to meet you.
Thank you very much for your reply and your precious help, I'll try to get only the first litter then.
This is the first step of a WC-54 equipment rebuilt...
Regards,

andré

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Tue Apr 28, 2015 15:47

I have seen & done post war Civil Defense litters re-marked with the white circle and red lettering to simulate/replicate the original markings. While I think I have disposed of the litters, I probably still have the silk screen for the lettering... It's cheating but might help until you find originals.
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Mon May 11, 2015 03:43

TenthA86 wrote:I have seen & done post war Civil Defense litters re-marked with the white circle and red lettering to simulate/replicate the original markings. While I think I have disposed of the litters, I probably still have the silk screen for the lettering... It's cheating but might help until you find originals.

Hi David

I noted your reply about litter markings and that you have a silk screen for lettering.

I have just had a litter refurbished with a new cotton canvas cover which I would like to mark.

Do you have any electronic files you could share with the markings so I can try and create a screen or any advice as to how to do this.

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
Andrew

TenthA86
Captain
Captain

Mon May 11, 2015 19:42

The early originals were typically silk-screened with a thick ink in WHITE for the circle, then followed with a screen in RED with the caduceus and lettering. I made a silk screen for the lettering and insignia, but cannot find it in my silk-screen carton in the shop. :-( I made the circle with cardstock cut to diameter and used automotive "bumper paint" in white to spray the circle. (Bumper paint stays more flexible) I made the screen template using WORD and a DIY kit like http://ezscreenprint.com/ Then used a thinned red latex craft paint (rather than ink) to apply the silk screen image to the litter. They held up for about 4 years, then I replaced them with originals. Another guy is still using them after 5 or 6 more years, so I guess they look OK.

Late war originals (late 1944 & 1945 I believe) were black ink silk screened without the white background circle or red lettering (like the one shown above) but I preferred the early look.

No luck on my original graphics file. If I find my silk screen, I'll re-post here, but I just had spine surgery and won't be digging out in the shop for a while.
David J. Little

President, Tenth Mountain Division Living History Display Group
Secretary, Tenth Mountain Division Foundation
Board Member, Tenth Mountain Resource Center
Past Webmaster, National Association of the Tenth Mountain Division

Andrewb
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Tue May 12, 2015 13:08

Hi David

Thanks for the information. It is greatly appreciated. It gives me a good starting point.

I hope you have a speedy recovery from your surgery.

Sincerely
Andrew

TenthA86 wrote:The early originals were typically silk-screened with a thick ink in WHITE for the circle, then followed with a screen in RED with the caduceus and lettering. I made a silk screen for the lettering and insignia, but cannot find it in my silk-screen carton in the shop. :-( I made the circle with cardstock cut to diameter and used automotive "bumper paint" in white to spray the circle. (Bumper paint stays more flexible) I made the screen template using WORD and a DIY kit like http://ezscreenprint.com/ Then used a thinned red latex craft paint (rather than ink) to apply the silk screen image to the litter. They held up for about 4 years, then I replaced them with originals. Another guy is still using them after 5 or 6 more years, so I guess they look OK.

Late war originals (late 1944 & 1945 I believe) were black ink silk screened without the white background circle or red lettering (like the one shown above) but I preferred the early look.

No luck on my original graphics file. If I find my silk screen, I'll re-post here, but I just had spine surgery and won't be digging out in the shop for a while.

Return to “General Discussion”