Centauri
Private

Which helm is the correct #OD colour?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 14:24

So i have two M1 helmets, both given to the danish army during the marshal plan, and is presumably un-issued WW2 productions.
they both have post-war plastic liners with kanvas straps (going to be replaced with leather soon), but a new liner costs as much as a new helmet with a liner so i'm just modifying the liner to be more authentic.
but to the real question; which one of these helmets have the correct/most authentic OD colour regarding the WW2 helmets? one of them is a dark slightly glossy colour (looks lighter because of the flash), while the other is a lighter matte OD.
i have seen both colours on original helmets.
the helmets are a bit beaten up because they have been used by my father while he was stationed in Yugoslavia, which is also why i'm asking, to avoid painting them and destroying something that have some emotional affection.

916matt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Which helm is the correct #OD colour?

Mon Jun 17, 2013 14:59

Centauri wrote: which one of these helmets have the correct/most authentic OD colour regarding the WW2 helmets?

Sorry but going on your photo I would say neither of them but it is hard to tell from a photo.

Centauri
Private

Mon Jun 17, 2013 21:02

916matt wrote:
Centauri wrote: which one of these helmets have the correct/most authentic OD colour regarding the WW2 helmets?

Sorry but going on your photo I would say neither of them but it is hard to tell from a photo.

the flash makes it hard indeed, especially the one on the left, it is very dark, but i have done some research and the helmet on the left was redone in the OD used during the korean war.

Bob M

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:20

Original WW2 period helmets have a cork finish mixed in the matte finish OD color paint.

Centauri
Private

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:44

Bob M wrote:Original WW2 period helmets have a cork finish mixed in the matte finish OD color paint.

Cheers, none of them are cork finished as they were repainted/refinished when they entered Denmark, but i hoped that one of them at least would be in the correct OD colour. the one on the left one is a front-seam, so it was produced during WW2, as they switched to back-seamed in '44, but i doubt it have been issued during the war.

Return to “Reference Topics”